[Sca-cooks] Happiness is a plate of sausages

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 6 15:09:33 PDT 2002

The other day I treated myself to a new toy -- the sausage stuffer
attachment for my KitchenAid mixer.  Today, I tried it out by
making a pound of chorizo sausage.  I used the recipe in the
Manual de Mugeres, which calls for ground pork, garlic, salt,
ground cloves, wine, and flour.  (It also calls for slightly smoking
the chorizos, but I don't have the facilities for that).  Tomorrow, after
they've aged in the fridge, I'll cook them up.  I've already tried the
seasonings in a batch of sausage patties, though this time I
slightly increased the cloves.  I'll report tomorrow on the results.

Right now I'm beaming with pride at the plump little things.  They
look so.... real.  The stuffing was amazingly easy, once I had the
grinder properly set up.

A few questions:

The instructions I've seen on the web say to cook sausages to a
certain internal temperature.  How, exactly do I determine this?  I
have a meat thermometer -- do I thrust it crosswise into a
sausage?  Lengthwise?

For feast purposes, can I make one or two big sausages per table,
or will smaller ones cook better?

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net