[Sca-cooks] Battery candle lanterns

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed Jul 17 07:54:18 PDT 2002

We have 'blueprints' for lanterns using polymer sheets in place of horn or
glass, frosted. It mellows out the electricness of the bulbs quite nicely.
Of course sheets of scraped and flattened horn would be more
period...although we could use greased parchement. Nah, it has to live in
the locker for the rest of the year...

margali
teh quote starts here:
 Certainly the light level may be closer to period than
many people use when trying to recreate indoor lighting with propane
lanterns
(absolutely unecessary level of light when camping, in my opinion), but
electric light has diffferent wavelengths and colors than any burning
source,
especially those available in our time period.  I find that the light
quality
of properly used candles, securely seated tikis (ie run a portable hole
deeply into the ground and use that to support the tiki pole), and propane
lanterns turned low to be more comfortable to my eyes than any electric
light, and much more "period" than any electric lantern could ever be.
Mind you, we use battery-powered only in the tent.  And I find the
blue-white
color very jarring after the yellow tinge of the flame light all evening.

Brangwayna Morgan