[Sca-cooks] proper cracklings

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Thu Jul 18 05:20:33 PDT 2002

It isn't the taste, it is the overall texture. Proper cracklings are the fat
and skin layer of pigs sliced into pieces and deep fried.

Instead of beiong puffed and styrofoam-y or rice cak-y, you get 2 types of
pieces.

The first type is entirely like the fat portion of crisp bacon when cold. A
slightly resilliant crunch and an almost creamy mouthfeel. The other types
of bits are where they have the skin adhering. You get that pork fat bit,
and then you get this very solid and rigid piece of fried skin that is
something like chewing rawhide.

Don't ask, it is a 'comfort food' sort of thing. Keep in mind the only
reason I learned to make cheese was so I could eat the raw unaged curds that
are the cheddaring step before you press them into cheese ;-)

margali

the quote starts here:
>I am deadly tired of those nasty snack food pork rinds. Air puffed bacon
>fat
>;-(
>margali

Tried UTZ brand??  They  are limited in area, but man are they good.
Olwen who could bring you some!