[Sca-cooks] Boar in Counfett

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Jul 1 10:50:23 PDT 2002

Hi. There is a Bor in Counfett in Ancient Cookery, Arundel #344, p.
275-445. From a Collection of the Ordinances and Regulations for the
Government of the Royal Household made in Divers Reigns from King Edward
III to King William and Queen Mary also Receipts in Ancient Cookery.
Printed for the Society of London Antiquaries by John Nichols. Sold by
Messieurs White & Son; Robson; Leigh and Sotheby; Brown; and Egertons.
MDCCXL.  This is sometimes referred to as Household Ordinances. (This
appears in Cariadoc's collection of Med. & Ren. cookbooks.)

I'm sorry, but your version contains several mistakes. Here is the correct
one. [s] used in place of long s

Bor In Counfett
Take felittes of braune and let hom lye in mer[s]aus an houre, and then
parboyle hom, and rolle hom, and do in a pot clarifiet honey, and honey and
wyn togidur, and put therto pouder of pepur, and of clowes, and [s]tere hit
fa[s]te tyl hit be thyk, and in the thikkynge do the ro[s]ted felettes
therto, that al the [s]ewe may cleve to hom, and qwhen the [s]aw[s]e is
bounden to the felettes, then take hom out of the pot, and lay hom on a
bourde to kele, and when thai ben colde dre[ss]e hom forthe three in a
dy[s]sh, and be[s]ide hom barres of [s]ilver, and in the mydward a barre of
golde, and [s]erve hit forth.

Mersauce is brine used for pickling.

Boar in confit
Take fillets of brawn and let them lie in brine an hour, and then parboil
them, and roll them, and put them in a pot of clarified honey, and honey
and wine together, and add thereto powder of pepper, and of cloves, and
stir it fast until it is thick, and in the thickening add the roasted
fillets thereto, that all the broth may cleave to them, and when the sauce
is bound to the fillets, then take them out of the pot, and lay them on a
board to cool, and when they are cold dress them forth three on a dish, and
beside them bars of silver, and in the middle a bar of gold, and serve it
forth.

HTH,

Cindy

>The original is quoted as being from "Kay of Triasrium,
>Ancient Cookery" but I have no idea of the further source.
>
>This is what is quoted as the original recipe:
>
>Bor in Counfett
>Take felittes of braun and let hem lye in merlous and
>houre, and then parboyle hem, and roile hem and do in
>a pot clarifiet honey and wyn togethere, and put thereto
>poudre of peper, and of cloves, and there hit that it be
>thyk, and in the thykennynge bounden to the fellettes,
>then take hem out o fthe pot, and lay hem as a bourdre
>to kele, and whan thei ben cooled dresse them for the shew
>in a dysshe, an beside hem some barses of silver and in
>the mydward a barre of golde, and serue it forth.

<snip>