[Sca-cooks] Boar in Counfett

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 1 11:08:25 PDT 2002

>Boar in confit
>Take fillets of brawn and let them lie in brine an hour,
>and then parboil them, and roll them, and put them in a
>pot of clarified honey, and honey and wine together, and
>add thereto powder of pepper, and of cloves, and
>stir it fast until it is thick, and in the thickening add
>the roasted fillets thereto, that all the broth may cleave
>to them, and when the sauce is bound to the fillets, then
>take them out of the pot, and lay them on a board to cool,
>and when they are cold dress them forth three on a dish, and
>beside them bars of silver, and in the middle a bar of gold,
>and serve it forth.
>
>HTH,
>
>Cindy

Thanks for the wonderful explanation of this dish. If anyone
doesn't have "Travelling Dysshes" then I do recommend it. Although
it doesn't go into what I consider proper detail on the history
of the recipes, it does give reference and the original translation
as well as adapted recipes.

I think that, although not exactly accurate, the easy translation
in the book of making a syrup of equal parts white wine and
honey, then adding pepper and ginger and boiling until thickened
then adding slices of ham is a very nice "field expidient"
version. I do know that it's very easy to make an elegant
dish over a Coleman stove this way.

But it's also nice to have the proper recipe as well.

Thank You,

Gunthar