[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP--'Full Serve' in Oregon

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Mon Jul 1 18:16:56 PDT 2002

Nah!  Lots of mileage in this old horse yet.  Just roast an onion and shove
it up it's....  No.  Don't go there (Regina has been re-reading the James
Herriott books again)

I hate pumping my own gas.  I've done it for years, and see no reason to
continue prove I can do it.  So I give a 17 year old, or a senior, or even a
recent immigrant a job.  Every "choice" station I've ever seen means you
have a choice between doing their work for them (you didn't see the price of
gas go down when they started firing the "Friendly Texaco Man" did you?) or
paying .20 a gallon more (Charleston, SC 1992).  I may pay within .02 to .05
cents a gallon more for gas in Oregon versus some (not all) stations in
Washington so I can't understand the enormous mark up for "choice" stations.
I see this as the same as these new "self-service" food markets.  It means
the market can put more of it's fairly unskilled workers out on the streets,
charge you exactly the same price they always have for your goods, and make
you pay for the privilege.

I notice there may be an age thing here to think about.  I would not have
allowed my 85 year old mother to pump her own gas.  Not because she was
senile (she wasn't) or incompetent, but because the arthritis in her hands
made the nozzle very difficult for her to hold onto and work.  Since
osteo-arthritis runs on both sides of my family, I rather expect this to be
a problem for me in the not too distant future.

Also, several companies put the dratted buttons that turn the tank on higher
than it was comfortable for her to manipulate.  We won't talk about those
tanks that deliberately hide the buttons/crank arms/other methods of turning
the darn things on!  (Regina who once fought for 35 minutes fighting with a
blasted Californian pump before the owners could figure out what she'd done
wrong!)  I think engineers get paid extra when they find a spot to put the
on-off switch on anything, computers included, where no sane person would
think to look for it!

Many of us may be in this situation in the next few years as the warranties
on our bodies give out.

Regina Romsey