[Sca-cooks] Melting cakes, pastry vs. cooking cooks

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 3 11:08:07 PDT 2002

> This and the heat (We're having a heat wave)  together are reminding me of
a friend who married one September, but it was over 100 degrees... he told
me the cake melted. He was picking it up at the bakery, and the filling
softened, and the top layer sort of slid...

(laughing) The LAST time I made a wedding cake, the wedding was in July in
Georgia, and I had wedding guests standing around the cake fanning it to
keep the icing from melting down the sides.  Like I said, it was the last
time I ever wanted that job again.  The LAST wedding I catered, I made petit
fours, which at 4 AM in the midst of a bucket of fondant became known
forevermore as 'those f**king petite fours', which were easier to manage
than a cake, but still enough to turn me off of catering weddings from that
point on.  I am just not into the pastry side, never was, even when as an
apprentice I served my time in the pastry shop, I would take a break from
the cakes and such and go over to the butcher shop to cut meat for a while.
It's strange, but cooks do seem to split pretty evenly along the
pastry/baker and banquet/cook line.  I'm definitely the latter.
Christianna