[Sca-cooks] Day Boards

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 4 09:01:27 PDT 2002

Olwen opinionated:
 I know how much a drag it can be to be on "dumpling day", but we have a
dedicated handful of folk in our guild to get together, have a lot of laughs
and a few ciders and  get the job done.  Nice thing is they freeze so well,
and the quality time  with friends!
> Olwen

	Yes, we already plan on making meat pies of some sort, and to have them
made in advance and frozen. (One of our staff is an at-home Mom with more
time to bake at home than time to dedicate to helping at the actual event.
And we've all got freezers!)  She's been experimenting with period pie
crusts (I asked here on her behalf a month or so ago for recipes, and she's
been working with them ever since), and so I don't think we have to fear for
under-achieving crusts!  I am trying to stress that at 50 cents a head,
buying pretzels in bulk will be better than hand-making hundreds of them,
and pickles, eggs, etc. can be got cheap and plentifully.  I don't want to
squash anyone's enthusiasm yet, though, so I'm just supplying the odd bit of
seasonings (Mistress Christianna, do you have any Grains of Paradise?
Cubebs? Now, if I can just find Saunders.... - Yes, yes, here, I have all of
these, here you go...), recipes and advice.  I do so love being the
Executive Feastcrat (or whatever my title ends up being) and overseeing all
of the meals rather than being in charge of any one of them.  Much less
stress on me, and I've got a team of 10 that are all relatively new,
learning the ropes so that they can go forth in the future and run their own
kitchens.  Ah, little chicks, learning to peck and scratch... ;)
Christianna