[Sca-cooks] Farmers' Market, was:I hate olives...

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 4 09:11:48 PDT 2002

> This discussion has prompted me to plan a return to our local
> farmers market to examine their olive selection.  I'm one of those who has
never  developed a taste for olives. However, last week on a "tour of period
foods" at the market (Thank you again Mistress Christianna) I took a sample
and was surpised at the fuller richer taste.
> Thank you for all of the information.
> Molli Rose

	We had fun!  A group of us met at Our Dekalb Farmer's Market, parents and
children in a convoy of carts, and we wandered all over the market, talking
about herbs, veggies, fruits, fish, meats, and dairy.  The kids and parents
had really good questions, and even some of the market's other patrons
started following us around, asking me questions like "Do you ever carry
pineapple mint?" "I'm sorry, I don't work here, this is a private class."
"Oh, really?  Well, do you know where I might find some?" (I did.)  I heard
two other folks tell the people they were shopping with ('Shhh, I want to
hear this...).  We went back to Molli's place after for lunch and play time,
and then the kids planted herb seeds for parsley, rosemary, and sage.  (I'll
be really surprised if any of those plants make it, but they had fun playing
in the dirt!)  I got a lovely Dutch Lavender plant as a thank you, (and a
bead necklace from the kids), and we had a great time.  As I had spent the
last 2 weeks sick as a dog, it was great to get out of the house and spend
some time with folks that were so thrilled to be around fresh foods,
learning like sponges.  And the farmer's market salad bar is always a
favorite of mine!
By the way, Molli, I turned in an Arts report last night about our trip to
Kyrrianna.
I would encourage other folks to organize trips like this.  Molli did it for
our Pages' School, but you don't need one going to get together a trip like
it, and everyone had fun and learned a lot, I think.
Thank you again for asking, I was glad to be there.
Christianna