[Sca-cooks] Female Cooks

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Mon Jul 8 14:11:08 PDT 2002

marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com writes:

> But I would say that the reason why there are more male chefs than
> female ones is pretty similar to the reason why there are relatively
> few female firefighters. Yes, they can [frequently] do the job, and
> put up with the various sexist attitudes (BTW, it is no easier as a
> male cook working for a female chef, as far as this goes). But is it
> worth it? In addition, the job is, like firefighting, just physically
> gruelling, and sometimes (not always, by any means, mind you, just
> sometimes) ladies find themselves working in professional kitchens to
> prove they can do it, rather than because they enjoy it, and then
> cookery can become an expression more of bulldog tenacity than of
> love, and that can be a sad thing. (Just as sad as when a man does
> this.)

It is worth it if you love to do it and can handle the work load. It's
definitely not for the thin skinned or fanciful housewife. It means real
work. Lugging in cases of produce, cutting down cases and sides of meat with
blood everywhere, long hours, bad attitudes, people not showing up, but at
the end of it all.... You've produced something. You can see your
accomplishments in the empty plates that come back. That's why I love
production baking as well. Same idea, different laboratory.

Speaking as  a former Executive Chef, and female, yes it is HARD work. I did
it cause I loved it. When it stopped being fun and I stopped caring about the
quality of my work, I quit. It didn't help that my kitchen was woefully
understaffed, the GM hated me, and nothing I did for her was ever good
enough.

But then I got back into it a year later, and I am in love with food again.
AS a matter of fact I'm looking for more restaurant positions again.

Finnebhir Moon Dancer
Rhiallu Ulfhednar
Vanished Woods Shire
Middle Kingdom