[Sca-cooks] Boned quails in period???

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Jul 10 05:34:59 PDT 2002

    I just checked the FDA site, and they now require that diluted acetic
acid be labeled as such. I had wondered in the past why some brands of
vinegar were more expensive than others (I mean, vinegar's vinegar, right?).
I just checked a bottle of the good stuff I have in the cupboard, and it
specifically lists that it's distilled from 'selected grains'. The jug of
the WallyWorld white vinegar, though, lists the ingredients as being a
solution of 5% acetic acid.
    I strongly suspect this means that the el crapola cheap brands are
chemical derivatives, and thus are safe for those with allergies. (oddly
enough)  The expensive stuff, with the accompanying flavinoids and ketones,
are not. Go fig . . .
    The FDA info, BTW, is at
http://www.fda.gov/ora/compliance_ref/cpg/cpgfod/cpg562-100.html I suppose
that not using the term "distilled" on the label and  listing the "5% acetic
acid" on the ingredients panels satisfies the legal requirements, but I'm
not buying that stuff any more . . . They say that acetic acid should not be
used for food, but then says that it can if properly labeled. Personally, I
figure that it's another one of these questionable practices that only an
informed consumer can avoid.

    Sieggy