[Sca-cooks] Loud Voices ansd Volunteering

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Jul 10 09:58:02 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/10/2002 12:49:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
baronsig at peganet.com writes:

>     Gawd yes! I think there are too many people who subscribe to the
> 'medieval faire' theory of events (I paid for admission, therefore I'm
> entitled to wander around and be entertained). Volunteering, being an
> engaged participant as opposed to a passive spectator is SO much more
> satisfying.

I always point out to newcomers that the SCA runs almost entirely on
volunteer labor - nobody is getting paid to entertain you - and that if
everyone pitches in and helps out, then everybody gets to have more fun.  I
also make a point of doing somethng at every event I go to, even if it is
just cleaning up a spill on the floor without bothering the event staff about
it, or asking where I can find more toilet paper to restock the bathroom!

Brangwayna