[Sca-cooks] RE: Vinegar (How many other acids used around the house/kitchen?)

John Husvar jhusvar at neo.rr.com
Wed Jul 10 11:27:48 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "M.C. Grasse" <grasse at mscd.edu>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 2:08 PM
Subject: [Sca-cooks] RE: Vinegar from Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2132 - 13
msgs

> Greetings the list
>
> since no one has mentioned it.. There is available a vinegar concentrate
> that is 25% acidic. {Comes with the warning do NOT consume undiluted.)
The
> idea is to dilute with champagne, red wine, ale.. whatever liquid you
chose
> to make a standard strength vinegar.  I have found it in both European and

Many of us old-timey photography types (who still like to get our hands wet)
get it at the photo-supply houses in 100%, (called glacial acetic acid) and
dilute it for stopping development of film or paper. IIRC, stop bath works
out to be just a few percent, pretty much nothin' but the smell. :)

We don't use it in anything near 25% dilution. Stuff'll eat your hands off!
:)

Also use hydrochloric and oxalic for platinum/palladium printing.

Johan - who hasn't had a chance to get chemical stains on his hands in too
long

---