[Sca-cooks] Romanian sources-- another source

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jul 12 07:19:04 PDT 2002

> I found a book entitled "Food and Drink in Medieval Poland" which is an
> adaptation by William W. Weaver of a polish thesis by Maria Dembinska.
> There aren't that many recipes (around 30 or so) but there is a wealth of
> information about available foodstuffs, influences, methods of cooking.

Don't use the recipes! They are not period recipes but adaptations of
period recipes to items listed on Polish menus.

> I'll focus my search on hungarian cookery... since the Romanian
> principalities were at first considered tributaries of Hungary, I might
> have more luck there.

Actually, there seems to be less in English about Hungarian cooking than
about Polish right now.

There's some stuff about cooking (utensils, location, etc. from
inventories) in Prague in late period in a thesis that  was published  in
1997:
_Material culture & daily life in the New City of Prague in the age of
Rudolf II_, James R Palmitessa. (Krems [Austria] : Medium Aevum
Quotidianum, 1997) I got a paperback copy of it this year at Pennsic.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."