[Sca-cooks] Curdled milk/Quark/Ricotta???

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Jul 14 19:56:20 PDT 2002

One does the best one can---

actually you can probably find several
quark recipes on the web and offer those as
modern versions and then say I used the best
period method and ingredients... given what
I could document...

Take a look at:
http://www.germancorner.com/recipes/hints/quark.html

where it says:

"Quark and Cheese Making Introduction
 In the old days Quark used to be made by letting milk sit.  It would
turn thick and sour by itself.  Today it is impossible because the milk
has been pasteurized and will just turn bad.  If you have access to
unprocessed milk, than you can still do it the old fashioned way.  But
be aware, that the milk might be contaminated by other bacteria.  The
safest way is to buy processed milk and inoculate it.  Inoculation is
nothing else but putting the right bacteria to the milk.  You can either
buy the bacteria or start you own culture."

So unless you are starting with unpasteurized milk, you
may have to improvise on what the period method would have been anyway.

Most of my German cookbooks are boxed, so I can't
provide much more than what searching the internet can provide.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis