[Sca-cooks] thanks and more help please?

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 08:19:15 PDT 2002

Oh dear, you are a bit new to this, aren't you?

OK, for starters, the address of this List is:

Sca-cooks at ansteorra.org

It is not run by, nor does it have anything to do
with, Yahoo.

You, however, have a yahoo mailbox- most of us do not,
and in fact, if it weren't for a problem with my
server, I wouldn't get this List on Yahoo.

We will not be getting doubles of this mail, although
if there's a group on Yahoo named SCA-Cooks, they may
get a copy.

It's sorta like you mailed two letters, one to 1357
Main St, Portland, _OR_, and one to 1357 Main St,
Portland _ME_. Both addresses may exist, but they are
neither the same people nor the same location.

Yahoo has a particular set-up which is quite handy-
since it's free, many of us use it- I run 6 groups
over there, and I'm subscribed to 13 more, but there
are a lot of other servers which run Lists, and this
is one of them, so the rules are different.

Go to the bottom of your email, and you'll find both
the List mailing address, and a url which will take
you over to a website which will allow you to access
our archives, as well as other things. Make yourself
familiar with it, and you're on your way to having a
clue about how this whole Internet mess works ;-)

Howewver, FYI, the idea behind a mailing List is that
an entire group of interested people all get the same
messages and share the same information. This is
normally done in individual emails, or sometimes in
Digests, which are simply collections of individual
emails, and allow the person receiving them to respond
to them, ignore them, save them, or delete them.

Hope this helps ;-)

Phlip

--- Isabella di Giovanni
<isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --
>
> Greetings.
>

> First of all let me say thank you. I belong to
> several (i.e. LOTS) of SCA lists and most are really
> nice and helpful, but you guys are ABOVE AND BEYOND.
>
> I have gotten so many good ideas that I may even
> re-consider and do another one of these feasty
> things. Just so I can try out all the good food.
>
> Now, here's where I lose all respect. I am an ok
> cook, ok seamstress, ok archer, ok fighter...but I
> am HORRIBLE with computers. Todays problem (didn't I
> say I usually had one or two going on?) is: I am not
> sure which address to mail to, hence you will be
> getting doubles of this mail; one to .org and one to
> yahoo.com.  Which one is correct?
>
> Also, on my other groups they have an area, that
> when I go in and select that particular group,
> automatically pulls up the most current 5 or so
> messages, with a calander below where I can pull up
> what ever month I want, including the current. Help.
> I can't seem to find the right area. I know my
> messages must somehow be crossing the great void,
> because of all the sweet (pun intended) help I have
> gotten so far.
>
> The only way I am reading responses is that they are
> coming into my mail inbox. Any ideas?
>
> In service (as long as it doesn't have anything to
> do with computers)
>
> Isabella

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,