[Sca-cooks] Re: Italian menus repost with translations this time

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 16 08:20:49 PDT 2002

On 16 Jul 2002, at 6:10, Louise Smithson wrote:

> Sorry about that, I posted the translation with those
> menus, but my mail only replicated the original one.
> The menu for July 14th (a Wednesday) is:
>
> ANTIPASTI
> melloni, beccafichi con pan'unto, crostate di
> piccioni, schiena di
> vitella fredda, visciole, & limoni trinciati
>
> Antipasti,
> Mellons, goat dish with greased (oiled) bread, pigeon
> pies, back (loin?) of veal cold, wild cherries, and
> lemons chopped up small (could be candied but no
> indication from the name)

Possibly meant as a condiment for the veal?

> ALLESO
> vitella seccaticcia, pollanche grosse stufate, salami,
> & savore di verzure
>
> Boiled course
> Veal dried (cured), turkey large stuffed, salami
> (salted and cured sausage), sauce/relish of greens
>
> FRUTTE
> torta bianca, pere, persiche in vino, citroni in
> aceto, & finocchio
>
> Fruit
> White tart (a cheese and egg white tart), pears,
> peaches in wine, citrons (sour oranges?) in vinegar,
> and fennel seeds (probably comfits if you look at the
> position in the menu).

The citron, though a citrus fruit, is a not an orange.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/citron.html

> As to the translation project.  I have yet to finish
> proof reading and cleaning up the last one.

Have I congratulated/thanked you for that one yet?  It looks great.

> Then my
> copy of Scappi should arrive soon.  Then maybe.  But
> definately not until well after war.

Scappi I have access to, sorta, since Granado plagiarized all of his
recipes.

> Are there any other Italian speakers out there or am I
> one of very few?

I hope there are others.  I can read enough, based on my
experience with other Romance languages, to pique my interest.  I
can tell that something is a yummy recipe for a peach pie or
stewed lamb, but the details elude me.  And I have enough
translation experience to know how many pitfalls there are, even in
a language one knows.

Anybody want to do the other 364 days?

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net