[Sca-cooks] Sauce Foyot

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 16 13:58:41 PDT 2002

Also sprach Marilyn Traber:
>Depends - homemade Glace de Viandes or the commercial stuff, and which
>version of Bearnaise sauce?
>margali

I dunno. There's an acceptable range of variants which are all of
acceptable quality, and all recognizably Bearnaise Sauce. A tarragon
white wine vinegar reduction au sec, with chopped shallots, with or
without additional tarragon, combined with egg yolks, beaten till
bright yellow and foamy, then with 6 or 7 ounces clarified butter
beaten in (over a double boiler) per egg yolk. Season with s&p, an
optional tiny pinch of cayenne, and stir in some melted glace de
viande, made by humans from actual brown veal stock. Strain and
serve. Is there another, significantly different, version, that is
still Bearnaise sauce?

>[is this something like coming up to look at etchings? - you have to come up
>and try my perfect Sauce Foyot...]

Oooooh Bay-bee! Come on up and pipe my creme patissiere! (Expression
plucked at random out of the air; note the absence of references to
any kind of 10-inch culinary tools...)

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER