[Sca-cooks] Everything and the kitchen sink

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 18:39:51 PDT 2002

Elric skrev:

something you might consider for replacing th e tiki
torches, there is a
propane torch that can use citronella fuel , nice
light and chases bugs
too.They come with about a six foot pole and a holder
tha hides the propane
tank.  They cost about $15 each, we bought them for
the Tavern and camp and
are really pleased. In non buggy weather you can use
regualr propane tanks.

YIS, Elric

There are two problems with the tikis, Elric. One is
the smoke, and citronella burned any which way will
cause that. We have enough lung challenges in our camp
that we don't need to make it worse.

The other is the fire danger. We're very careful about
the tikis, as careful as people can be, but I still
don't like them. I woke up one morning to find my
apartment burning down around my ears, and I won't
have open flame anywhere near me when I'm sleeping-
there isn't a tiki allowed near my tent.

I'm not the least afraid of fire- I'm a smith and a
cook, for Heaven's sake, but I dislike the potential
danger. I strongly suspect one of these Pennsics,
we're going to have a very nasty fire situation on our
hands. So far, we've been lucky, only lost a few
tents, and no serious injuries. But I'm aware of a few
more close calls than most people are, and as Camp
Master, my feeling is, that I can't control anyone
else's camp, but I can bloody well make mine as safe
as possible.

Down the road, too, with the lighting we're
experimenting with, I'm hoping we can have Kewl
Lighting that's totally safe, and other folks will
pick up on our ideas and use them.

Pennsic isn't just a couple weeks this summer, it's a
couple weeks for many summers to come, and that's what
we're planning for.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,