[Sca-cooks] Re: Using hunt result to feed at feast... (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Feast Procedural Question)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jul 17 05:27:53 PDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:

> >there are certain
> >specialty items that would be a bit pricier if I don't have a friend who
> >has good luck during deer season, for instance.
>
> I personnally would NOT serve food that was caught while hunting.  I don't
> have a problem with eating it, I have, and will again.
>
> The issue comes from a department of health thingey.  If the meat hasn't
> been inspected, and you sell it as part of a meal, you are opening yourself
> up to quite a nasty mess.  Especially if, the gods forbid, someone is sick
> after the feast and decides (rightly or not) that it was the venison you
> served...
>
> Just a warning from one who has been bit by that bug in the past...

Also, there are some states/municipalities where such practice is illegal.
Thus, the ND shire up in Grand Forks can serve the results of the hunt at
a feast, but in Minnesota I cannot, and if I read the law correctly, not
even if the feast were free could I do so.

Ah, the joys of living in a state that is almost as legislation-happy as
the Midrealm...

Margaret