[Sca-cooks] Tomato sources--long

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 08:21:15 PDT 2002

On 17 Jul 2002, at 8:32, johnna holloway wrote:

> Here are two odd sources for material on the tomato
> in 16th century Italy.
[much snippage]
> José de Acosta
>
> "Per temperare il sapore del peperoncino si ricorre al sale, che lo
> corregge molto, perché essi sono molto diversi l'uno dall'altro e i
> loro effetti si frenano reciprocamente, ma si ricorre pure alle tomate
> che sono fresche e sane e sono delle specie di grossi acini sugosi,
> che fanno delle salse saporite, ma sono ugualmente buone da mangiarsi
> da sole".
>
> "Historia moral y natural de las Indias Ocidentales", Siviglia, 1589,
> dalla traduzione di J. Remy-Zephir, Parigi, 1979
>

> So here are the early Italian references in Italian.
>
> I think I shall let the Italian speakers/translators take over from
> here.

This last citation is a translation into Italian from the original
Spanish work.  The entire book is online (in Spanish) at:
http://cervantesvirtual.com/FichaObra.html?portal=0&Ref=000600

There's another Spanish reference, from "Cronica de la ñueva
España" by Francisco Cervantes Salazar.  The quote, and my
translation of it, are in the Florilegium file on tomatoes.  The full
book is at:
http://cervantesvirtual.com/FichaObra.html?portal=0&Ref=001098

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net