[Sca-cooks] Cornbread....

Kekilpenny at aol.com Kekilpenny at aol.com
Wed Jul 17 11:44:08 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/17/02 1:27:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
countgunthar at hotmail.com writes:

> I don't know if I'm really "from the South" or not.
> But I do know that my mother was a woman raised in
> Oklahoma who picked cotton with the Negros during the
> Depression. The family is about as White Trash Southern
> Jerry Springer Soul Food Eatin' Catfish Giggin' Let's
> Go Shoot Sumptin' It's Nice That Merle Is Outta Prison
> In Time Fer Christmas Okie as you can get.

Just change that to in time for Christmas Texan for my Momma. She remembers
getting sick on sorghum skim, how good tomato sandwiches are especially when
that is all you have to eat, and four to a bed is comfy winter or summer.
One recipe we have been searching for is "Corn Meal Dumplings". She is
thinking that her Momma created it out of necessity more then anything.
"Nonnie" wouldn't pass the recipe down saying "It wasn't as good as you
remember it." Our attempts to recreate have been amusing to say the least.
Need something to fill in those nasty potholes?  If anyone can give
direction, knows of a family recipe, etc. Please...share?

Molli Rose

P.S. Oh, we never talked about Merle and prison because it was over "that
woman" and well we don't think it's polite to speak of her in mixed company. <
s>