[Sca-cooks] Cornbread....

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 20:58:03 PDT 2002

--- CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> phlip_u at yahoo.com writes:
>
> > Any Southerner
> >  who can afford to do so will add at least a pinch
> of
> >  sugar to cornbread-
>
> I've lived all my life in South Carolina up to
> now... and one side of the
> family has been here for three hundred years, and I
> never had sugared corn
> bread until I ordered it in a restaurant down in
> Columbia. I've found the
> further south and east you go in this state, the
> sweeter the cornbread gets
> until on some of the coastal islands it's like cake.
> But in the upstate of
> South Carolina, as a rule, we don't sugar our
> cornbread. We also as a rule
> don't use mixes.

I'm not talking about actually sweetening the
cornbread here. I'm referring to the practice of
adding a pinch, and I do mean a pinch, of sugar to it.
According to the ladies I've talked to (admittedly,
not many in your state, mostly in Georgia, Alabama, N
Carolina, and particularly Virginia, it's added
because it smoothes the texture and evens out the
rise.

First heard of it at a funeral for my mother's friend,
a black gentleman who had done her yard for her, in
Virginia. Once we were "known", we sat with the ladies
and talked cooking. Learned a lot, and since have had
it verified by other good cooks in other places.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,