[Sca-cooks] Cornbread....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Jul 18 06:29:17 PDT 2002

I like that "mixed marriage" bit...I am, too, sort of (my mom's people
being a combination of Yankees and relatively recent immigrants, and my
dad's people being a combination of been-here-forever white folks and
people from South Carolina), but mostly, I'm just a westerner (since I
grew up in Montana).  I'd never even heard of corn bread without sugar
until I was in my mid-late 20s, and got into a completely friendly
food-wrangle with a couple of friends who are from the midwest (Kansas,
Missouri), and who consider sugar in cornbread to be An Abomination
Before The Lord.  So I'd figured maybe it was a midwestern thing.  Of
course, those same 2 ladies also like to butter hot chocolate cake,
which I tried and found dee-sgusting.
--Maire, who grew up fairly poor (both parents, but not a lot of $), but
ate a lot of wild game, etc. 'cuz Daddy was a fisherman and a hunter,
and who likes butter, sugar, and thick cream on *her* oatmeal! <g>