[Sca-cooks] salad dressings

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Jul 22 06:57:22 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/22/2002 1:11:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> What period salad dressings have you found? I seem to remember oils
> or oil and vinegar being mentioned but I can't remember any others.

The one I'm referring to is the oil and vinegar one, from this recipe:

SALAT
(From Forme of Curye, English, 1390, as redacted by Brangwayna Morgan )

 Take persel, sawge, grene garlec, chibolles, oynouns, leek, borage, myntes,
porrettes, fenel and toun cressis, rew, rosemarye, purslarye; laue and
waische hem clene. Pike hem. Pluk hem small with thyn honde and myng hem wel
with rawe oil; lay on vyneger and salt, and serue it forth.

Modern English:  Take parsley, sage, green garlic, spring onions, onions,
leek, borage, mint, young leeks, fennel and garden cress, rue, rosemary,
purslane;  lave and wash them clean, pick them over.  Pluck them small with
your hand and mix them well with raw oil; lay on vinegar and salt, and serve
it forth.

While it appears from the recipe that the oil and vinegar were added directly
to the salat before it was served; I choose to mix the oil, vinegar, salt,
garlic, and some of the other herbs (usually the sage, as I've had people
concerned about what the "fuzzy stuff" in the salat was, and the rosemary, as
a lot of people don't care to chomp down on a pine needle...) separately and
provide it in a small cup, so people can use the amount of their choice,
including none if they so desire.  This is one of my ways of working around
the allergy thing - if there is something in the dressing that someone
doesn't want, they can still eat the greens dry if they choose.

Brangwayna