[Sca-cooks] Feast quantities

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jul 24 04:29:11 PDT 2002

To be perfectly honest, when preparing bread for an SCA feast, I prefer a
large Hobart and a good convection oven.  It is a hard to beat combination
when making a lot of bread, fast.  The sites we commonly use only have
counter-top Hobarts, so the work takes longer.

The oven you describe sounds like one of the iron ovens with the external
firebox that came in during the 19th Century for communal and commercial
bakers.  Are they using the iron floor or do they have the floor lined in
terracotta tiles?  I'd love to take it out for a spin.  If I get to build my
house, I plan on a smaller one in the kitchen fireplace.

Bear