[Sca-cooks] Icelandic Chickens

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 21:30:50 PDT 2002

Well, I don't know exactly to whom the message was
directed, but...
There are two distinct breeds of chickens that are
found in Iceland, both have their ancestry traced from
stock brought from Norway and Sweden early in our
period. The Svenska Bloeme Hoene and the Norge Svatla
Hon, are found in Iceland now and appear to have been
there early in the settlement of the island, both
breeds have left thier mark on the modern flocks found
there.

Though I know of the Norweigen Jaerhorn is a modern
breed that may be found in this country.  I have not
yet found any of the older Scandinavian breeds in this
country, but they are alive and well in their
homeland!! It is possible that Wisconsin and Minnesota
retain some of these old breeds on some of their
historic farms, or on out of the way family
homesteads, a lot of Scandinavians settled those
lands, perhaps some brought home flocks with them??
I'm trying to find out!!

Our import regulations are still too tight to really
make importation possible, maybe in the future? but
not now.

Please check out medievalanimals at yahoogroups.com
and www.feathersite.com, (the last is an online
encyclopedia of poultry, if they don't have the answer
on the page, Barry Koffler will find the answer for
you!

Meister Johann von Metten, OL
medieval poultry

3. Re: chickens (Michael Gunter>
> Message: 3
> From: "Michael Gunter" <countgunthar at hotmail.com>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] chickens
> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:15:16 -0500
>
> >I came accross a post you made on the internet
> concerning a type of chicken
> >you say is closely related to the old
> >icelandic breed,Can you tell me what the name of
> this chicken is and also if you know anything about
the old icelandic breed i would be happy to hear it.

> >Alan
>
> I don't think this person is subscribed to the list
> so any answers should also be addressed to his
address.

> Gunthar

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"