[Sca-cooks] Greens and cornmeal

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 26 10:20:00 PDT 2002

>Speaking as a nor'eastern snob, I can confidently say that grits
>aren't ever disguised as polenta. Mush, OTOH...

I was raised on both grits and mush. Grits are usually white,
ground hominy wheras mush is coarse ground yellow corn.

I had both of these in all forms. Grits mixed with fried
eggs in a rather nasty looking mix that tasted wonderful.
Corn meal mush served either in a bowl with brown sugar and
butter or fried into little patties with maple syrup (or more
often Kayro Corn Syrup).

>Southern thang, but literature, songs, and extant newspaper copy all
>identify bacon and greens (presumably mustards and turnip-type
>greens, possibly kale) as specialties of both Philadelphia and New
>York

We eat greens a lot in the Gunthar household. Selene has a
particular affection for them. I've found our favorite combination
is spinach and kale. What I usually do is get a very large skillet
or my wok hot and add olive and toasted sesame oils. Then saute'
a large mess of garlic and onions until the garlic begins to toast
a bit. I'll sometimes add chopped turkey pastrami and hot pepper
flakes to the oil as well. Then add the chopped and cleaned greens.
I'll then keep stirring until everything wilts nice. Sprinkle on
some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, a bit more toasted
sesame oil and serve it forth.

Although my greens are never the same. I'll sometimes add fresh tomatoes
and warm them at the last moment. Or throw in some chopped cooked
chicken or ham. I'll add balsamic vinegar or even a sprinkle of
Italian dressing. It depends on my mood and what I have on hand.
I've served greens to company for things like Thanksgiving and had
raves.

Another fun thing to do is cook up some stiff polenta and serve the
greens with that. Greens and corn are wonderful together.

>Adamantius

Gunthar