[Sca-cooks] Good morning from Greece

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Jun 2 00:09:58 PDT 2002

At 09:29 AM 6/2/02 +0300, you wrote:
>--
>Good morning from Greece.

Greetings, good gentle! I was astounded and thrilled to see your post in
the INBOX!

>Looking for Arabic recipes yesterday, I came upon the site of your society.

We have a few Arabic recipes ;-) I will put a couple of links at the end of
my post for you.

>I am very sad that the distance doesn't allow me to join you.
>
>Being a professional historian myself and coming from a country with such
a heritage, it would made me very happy If I could have my persona and
participate in your activities.

>Never mind :-) I enjoy your sites and writings, anyway.

Wait, wait! Where in Greece are you? I just opened up the newletter for the
Kingdom of Drachenwald, which is Europe and more (S.Africa even!) And there
is a group beginning in Athens! The contact person there is George
Barbanis, and his e-mail is: <barbanis at hol.gr> They would probably love to
hear from you!

>My hobby -well it's becoming a professional  lately- is the History of
Food. I am an avid collector of old cook-books and my collection goes back
many many centuries.

Forgive me my envy :-D)

>I hope I can participate in the discussions. I think I will spend some
time reading mostly.

There is plenty of that!

Just to forwarn you- this is a high-traffic list. Higher at some times than
others, but always right up there. Lately, there has been a lot less of the
scholarly work and period recipes- many of us are morking or plannign for
outdoor events and there are concerns there that are particular to camping
with modern equipment in a modern campground (Charlemagne's troops didn't
have to worry about local fire regulations and such). And I think that many
of us are a little burnt out- the folks that are very active on the list
tend to be very active in other places too, so we get a little weird and
talk about Twinkies and Jell-o at times. But we also have rousing
discussions on teh chemistry of sugar in baked goods and such- very
important for cooks!

There is an archive, if you need to find something, and there are other
things too:

First, check out our on-line encyclopedia-thing, Stefan's Florilegium. You
can find it at:  http://www.florilegium.org/  If you plan to look around, I
would pack some water and a couple of sandwiches- you're going to be there
for while!

Also useful:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html    An amazing bunch of links,
including links to Cariadoc's cookbooks, which is where you want to go to
start looking for those Arabic recipes! I'm sure His Grace Cariadoc will
chime in if he feels it is necessary, likely with more links!

>I just wanted to introduce myself and express my joy for being here.
>Athenaeus-Greece

I am quite pleased that you are on the list! Sit back, hold, on, and enjoy
the ride!

'Lainie
-formally known as HL Elaine de Montgris, informally called 'Lainie, Hey
You! and Mommmmyyy!!!!