[Sca-cooks] Totally OT, but...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Jun 7 09:32:59 PDT 2002

At 07:08 AM 6/7/02 -0400, Adamantius wrote:

>But although Ostgardr is probably large enough to be either a
>Palatine Barony, or, if we wanted to, a Principality, or even a
>Kingdom on its own, it wasn't necessarily the Baronial choice process
>I was thinking in terms of.
>
>Adamantius, Servant of the State

*snort!*

Dear, dear, addled Master A...

So long as Might Makes Right, and the Big Sticks Make the Rules, the system
will continue as it does. You think they'll change the rules to let someone
else in? Are you mad?

I know of a couple of splinter groups that do the fighting+A&S thing for
Crowns. Only works in the short term- you end up with the same
plutocracy/meritocracy that we have- you get the same group of people over
and over, who can afford to look flashy and either have the martial skill
or can afford to field a champion. Your monarchs may be a little more
well-rounded, but no more likely to be be effective rulers than Joe
Stickjock. (Less maybe- us tempermental artist-types aren't the best
leaders sometimes.) The most effective are the guys who hang out in back
and say "Me? Ha! Not or your life! I like my skin where it is, thank you!"

I think a minimum A&S entry would be a cool requirement for Crown Tourney,
but as a entry requirement, not as part of the competition. But that would
probably go over about as well as insisting that entrants have at least an
AoA...

Cranky 'Lainie