[Sca-cooks] Recipe for fried avocado from Trudy's North Star

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 10 22:05:04 PDT 2002

We will have to agree to disagree on this matter, gentle friend.
I find the color an abomination to the decorator palate, but a
tasty substrate to other flavors in varying degrees of heat.
I won't make you eat them if you won't make me look at kitchen appliances in
that hated color.  Deal?

The "California Roll" appears heretical on the surface, but I feel that it does
justice
to the Japanese culinary tradition of using the freshest ingredients and the
best
produce of the local region.  Avocado is one of our state's major claims to
agricultural fame.
You want to talk sushi heresy, try the "Philadelphia Roll" -- with cream cheese
and
smoked salmon.  Weird, but not bad if you keep an open mind.

The major days of Avocado consumption in the US seem to be Cinco de Mayo [one
of Mexico's
major national holidays, celebrated by Mexican expats in the US] and Super Bowl
Sunday.

Apparently, the "alligator pear" is cited amongst Columbus' discoveries so I
see no
reason not to use it in "speculative" period-style cookery.
If an innkeeper such as myself was gifted with some of these by a passing
mariner,
what would she make of them?

Selene, Caid