[Sca-cooks] Recipe for fried avocado from Trudy's North Star

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 10 23:20:51 PDT 2002

Huette commented:
> A long time ago, someone asked this list if anyone
> knew how to make a dish from a restaurant in Austin
> Texas, called Trudy's North Star.
>
> Unfortunately, I can nolonger find the original post
> so I can send the recipe to her.
>
> I had told the person that I would ask a column in the
> LA Times, called "Culinary S.O.S." where people ask
> for such things.  They finally printed the recipe and
> now I can't find who requested it!
>
> Anyway, I hope that the original poster is still on
> the list, because here is the recipe:
>
> Trudy's Stuff Avocado Special

The original poster could very well have been me. I know that I've
mentioned this dish on this list at least once.

We were at Trudy's this last Monday evening. Specifically because
my wife had a hankering for this particular dish. I think the last
four times we've been there, this is what she's had. That's ok, it
just means I get to try a variety of other dishes.

Thank you for posting this. I think I might be able to do this.
Even if does involve handling that slimy green fruit. :-)

I'm not quite sure how to keep the sliced avocado together though
when you fry it. When you roll it, I guess you can hold it together
with your fingers. But I don't think that would work too well in
the hot oil. And somehow, I don't think a pair of rubber bands
will work either.

Perhaps, like many of the medieval recipes, you simply have to
follow the directions as close as possible and see what happens.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net