[Sca-cooks] Food Allergies

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 17:58:32 PDT 2002

> >Problem is, I could just DIE for some avocado! I
> could eat it, then
> my
> >mouth feels funny and itchy and my throat feels
> funny and itchy, and
> I get
> >the cold sweat, and next thing I know I'm gagging
> and choking and I
> can't
> >breathe...
>
> That's really strange because I know 2 people (one
> on this list) that
> have quite severe allergic reactions to advocado
> with the same
> symptoms...

For what it's worth, folks, the classic symptoms of an
allergy are what Lainie's describing. You may have
other reactions to cewrtain foods, diarrhea, or gas or
vomitting aren't symptoms of an allergy, they're
symptoms of a digestive problem- lack of an enzyme,
perhaps.

ANYBODY who has been diagnosed with an allergy, or has
responded to a foodstuff with hives, or swelling of
the airways should avoid that foodstuff with a
passion, and probably get an epi pen prescribed and
kept handy.. This time was a warning- next time,
depending on your system, you could very well be dead
within about 10 minutes if you aren't treated.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,