[Sca-cooks] Catering question

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Jun 14 12:12:23 PDT 2002

> Margaret asked:
> > Has anyone on the list ever had to deal with a situation like this, where
> > you have to cater the feast to be able to get a decent site? How do you
> > handle it?
>

> Any chance someone in your group could qualify for this catering license
> before the event?
>
> Any chance there is someone in your group, or a nearby group who
> already has this license, but perhaps is not knowledgeable or
> perhaps not even interested in period food, who would be willing to
> act as the overall legal representative, letting you all do the
> cooking but making sure the sanitation and other requirements are
> met?

I did some research.

Unfortunately the state (that being Minnesota, Land o'Legalese) requires
some fairly impressive hoops to get a catering permit. A restaurant
license, a retail on-sale intoxicating liquor license for said restaurant,
worker's comp insurance, and liquor liability insurance showing catered
event coverage. Apparently just being a professional cook isn't enough.
The barony had three professional cooks, once upon a time, but they've all
moved outstate.

Yep, the largest, or one of the largest, baronies in the entire bloody
Known World, and we don't have a professional cook. Got a lot of computer
geeks, no cooks.

With this complication, and the other problems circling about threatening
to attack, I'm beginning to think the event is cursed and requires a burnt
offering to appease whichever deity it is that's mad at us. Anybody have a
sheep or a goat they won't miss? Maybe a cow?

Margaret

[Next week on another thrilling episode of The Twelfth Night From Hell, we
discuss reasons why the cook shouldn't serve haggis at an Irish-themed
event.]