[Sca-cooks] OOP Query

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Tue Jun 18 06:39:33 PDT 2002

rrrikes!! rrruh-oh!

but, Adamantius... do tell us, how do you really feel? ;-)

>    Scripts for BTVS and, now that BTVS ain't wot it was, Smallville,
>    contain frequent references to plot elements (and I use this term in
>    the broadest possible sense) from a truly unspeakable late 1960's
>    Hanna-Barbera cartoon called, "Scooby Doo, Where are You?" When I say
>    unspeakable, I don't mean it simply has no imaginative elements at
>    all; I mean it actually has imaginative elements to a negative
>    extent. It is, literally, a black hole of creativity, a cartoon which
>    makes other programming look bad, not because of negative comparison,
>    but because "Scooby-Doo" is the carrier of a miasmic social and
>    psychic disease. Anything it touches is tainted with suckiness.

<snip>
>    It doesn't bother me that this series existed. (Well, not too much.)
>    It bothers me that they made more than one segment, and even several
>    different versions of the series. I will not even discuss the fact
>    that the live-action movie just released looks like becoming one of
>    the biggest money-makers of all time. As Claudius would have said, it
>    depresses me unutterably.

Actually the finest comment on this program was put forth by Ralph
Bakshi ( "Fritz the Cat", "wizards" and others ).
He did a cartoon remake of Mighty Mouse the Cartoon on Saturday
morning ( until some anal retentive conservative watchdog group
that evidently believes the highest state of the art of television
is those "Blond Jesus" animes thgey advertise on the All Christian
networks ) managed to create enough unfounded hype that CBS caved
in and trashed it.

One of the cleverest lampoons of the whole Scooby enterprise came
in an episode called "Dont Touch That Dial" in which Mightymouse
is inadvertantly placed in a series of broad but completely
identifiable versions of other popular cartoons (the "Rocky and
Hoodwinkle" segment had me falling out of my damn chair, choking
on my cheerios!).

It is worth checking out if you can find it. You sometimes see the
tapes of Bakshi's Mighty Mouses in the cartoon section of some of
the more progressive video stores (so of course you wont find it
at BlockBuster).

brandu