[Sca-cooks] A Question on mustardy eggs

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 08:16:17 PDT 2002

--- Susan Laing <gleep001 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Evening all!
>
> I found this lovely recipe in the FLoriguem and
> tried to email Mistress Kiri
> directly using the listed addy but to no avail...
>
> So am redirecting the query via the list (cause I
> need to know the answer by
> thursday morning when I go off shopping for the
> feast food... event is this
> saturday night)
>
> Can anyone (or Mistress Kiri if you're out there at
> the moment) advise the
> quantity that the below recipes makes?
>
> Is it a good sized portion for one or two adults??
> (I'm doing this as a
> side dish for about 100 people and want to calculate
> the amount of eggs I'll
> need)
>
> Many thanks!!
>
> Mari

Mari, if I were doing it, I'd consider two eggs as a
serving, part of a breakfast for one person. A proper
breakfast, by my count, would be two eggs, two slices
of toast, or two drop biscuits, 3-4 slices of bacon,
or about 4 oz raw of sausage, fruit juice or a quarter
of a melon or an orange, coffee, and frequently a
glass of milk. At Pennsic, our breakfast is usually a
couple of well stuffed 2-egg omelets, maybe bread and
butter and jam, coffee, and maybe some fruit or milk.
That usually keeps me going all day, until about dusk.

One thing I'd like to point out is that peeling that
many eggs is pretty labor intensive for 100 people,
even if you use older eggs and boil them correctly so
the shell slips off fairly easily. The sauce looks
fairly easy, but by the time you finish with 200 eggs,
or even 100 eggs, you're never foing to want to look
at another egg as long as you live. I'd suggest
something a bit easier to put out en masse, if you
want to do eggs, such as pain perdu.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,