[Sca-cooks] OOP Query

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 19 08:43:10 PDT 2002

Also sprach Siegfried Heydrich:
>     Good! Kids NEED to have the shit scared out of 'em every now and then .
>. . builds character. This notion of 'protecting' the kids from the fact
>that there are really bad, evil things in the world is the moral equivalent
>of raising them in an epistemological plastic bubble. I think Barney and the
>Teletubbies (while being a great babysitting service) destroy more brain
>cells than second hand smoke . . .
>     Kids should be introduced to Clark Ashton Smith, Talbot Mundy, and H.P.
>Lovecraft as soon as their vocabularies have developed enough to handle
>them. The rest of the brain will follow . . .

Yes, but you need to watch out for the ones with warped senses of
humor. After reading Richard Matheson's "Prey" with Brennan the other
day, I picked him up at school, and he brought over his friend York,
a rather small Chinese-American kid. He introduced him, holding York
by the arm (I knew perfectly well who he was; I like York -- I can
tease him and call him a midget and get back as good as I gave) by
saying, "This is He Who Kills. He is a mighty hunter."

Okay, I guess you had to either read the story or see the segment in
Spielberg's first movie, which was an anthology film that included
the story...

But then this is the same kid with whom I had the following
conversation, probably when he was about five:

Self: "Why the &%#@* can't I find my other shoe???"
Kid: "It's under the bed."
Self: "Oh, yeah? So why couldn't I find it?"
Kid: "The clouded mind sees nothing."
Self, setting self up in a big way: "So how did you know it was there?"
Kid: "The _Shadow_ knows... heh heh heh heh!"

Adamantius