[Sca-cooks] OOP Query

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 19 09:09:02 PDT 2002

Also sprach Aurore Gaudin:
>Since we're talking about what our kids are watching, mine got me
>baffled.  He loves watching Starship Troopers, MIB, and Scooby-Doo
>and Zombie Island, but he refuses to watch Independence Day.  And is
>only 6 yrs old.  He's a big Scooby fun.  Go figure.  Aurore

I dunno, for my money (and YMMV) Starship Troopers is a little
extreme, in a number of ways, for a 6 year-old. Probably better to
let the kid grow to 12 or 13 and start him on Joe Haldeman. At least
MIB has more in the way of an implied apocalypse than the overt one
portrayed in ID. If you actually watch it, you'll note that nobody
actually dies, on camera, as the direct result of violence in MIB,
except for the villain, who, as they might say in Texas, "needed
killin' ", and great care is taken to portray all of MIB's events as
part of a cosmic game, almost as if Shakespeare were writing sci-fi.

Of course, now that some of the unthinkable events of ID have
actually taken place in my home town, I don't know how my child would
react upon seeing it at this point.

BTW, speaking of MIB, I experienced another Classic New York Moment
the other day when, as I walked along Second Avenue in the 80's, I
spotted a pleasant-looking young lady walking a small dog (whatever
breed of little monster that appears in both MIB movies...), and I
began to sing in a gravelly voice (normally I am, at best, a tenor):

"...you just got back from outer space
and I found you sitting there
with that sad look upon your face.
I should have changed that stupid lock..."

[Now this could easily be interpreted as yet another New Yorker
talking to himself, mind you, and very unremarkable.]

"Frank!" admonishes the young lady...

I hum the rest, still in the gravelly voice...

"FRANK!!!" says the young lady, playing the part and looking angrily
between me and the dog...

We exchange grins and go our ways...

Adamantius