[Sca-cooks] Vidalia nionions...

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 19 14:19:55 PDT 2002

In his inimitable way, Stefan asked:
> So, what is the differance between the regular Vidalias and the
> "spring onion" variety? Are the latter smaller? Do they taste
> less "oniony" but are still sweet? I would think they would need
> time to get sweet or do they work differently than fruits?
>
> Stefan li Rous

The spring vidalia onion versions look like oversized scallions.  They have
a large head, some get as big as a medium sized regular onion, and long
green sprouts.  They are not as sweet as the full-grown variety, but they
are great in anything I've used them in.  They show up in early spring here,
before the :( short vidalia season.
Christianna