[Sca-cooks] pronunciations

vongraph vongraph at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 25 08:30:27 PDT 2002

> Depends on whether you're talking about edible dogs or not... but
> yes, you _do_ need the false (or misplaced) erudition in order to
> prove your requisite American self-loathing. Anything else would
> be... [splutter]... politically you-know-what. I can't even say it.
> You know... ixnay on the oliticallypae incorrectae?
>
> Or even worse! Dare I say... out of fashion??? Maybe Americans need a
> new name, something they can hide behind in order to avoid being
> perceived as inherently evil. Remember when peace-loving and
> law-abiding Iranians and Iranian-Americans all went back to being
> Persian for a while, to avoid being confused with Those Other Guys?
> Maybe a nice little lapel button that simply says, "Not Evil" is
> indicated...

Though the US government over the years has done numerous things that could
give others the impression of Evil, we are no more or less evil than any
other Empire :) From the Khan through the Brits to us in the present all big
countries do nasties to the little ones. That's the way it is:) Shoud we
feel guilt about it, not really, should we try to be aware of the things
that the government does and prevent them from doing that are lacking in
moral responsibility, yes.  But the button thing is not applicable. maybe
one that says "not personally Evil" :) And changing names to avoid
responsibility is probably not great idea either, a rose by any other name
is still a rose:) As far as inherently evil, we are going to do what ever is
necessary to maintain our lifestyle, (you don't think we would be involved
in the humna rights thing in arabia if they didn't have oil do you), that is
how the world works. The concept of the Ugly American is based on fact, but
I do not think that we need to be guilty about it. The strong "use" the
weak, the problem is that being arrogant about it is what rankles the rest
of the world:)

Elric