[Sca-cooks] Roasting chickpeas?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jun 26 12:59:38 PDT 2002

At 03:25 PM 6/26/02 EDT, you wrote:
>--
>In a message dated 6/26/2002 2:44:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lcm at efn.org
>writes:
>

>> But I think the chickpeas in the recipe have not been cooked, and the
>> canned ones are. I would think that would make a difference.
>>
>> (This comes out similar to hummus, BTW. I've made it. Good stuff.)
>
>Yeah, it would.  But I have no idea where one might get fresh chickpeas - I
>have certainly never seen them for sale.

Farmer's market? Middle-Eastern or Mexican grocery?

>  My options are dried or canned.  I
>suppose I could soak the dried ones, drain them, and then roast them...It
>would be easy enough to take care of over the next several days.

Hmm. I would suspect that soaking dried ones and then roasting may be a
step left outof the recipe because either A) the cook was working with
fresh, or B) he had his minions doing that part and didn't write it down
because it was 'prep' and not part of the recipe.

>By any chance, do you have your redaction handy?  I'd love to see it.

Um, er... whip me for being a bad listmember, but I generally don't write
them down. I cook straight out of the book. I write them down if I'm
handing it off to someone else to cook (like having my daughter do pre-cook
stuff) and occasionally for presentation (they make fine wedding gifts,
with a box of spices). And it has been, er, uh, 8 years since I made it?
Mostly I'm been playing with stuff that I _know_ will be a hit in camp,
like the !@#$$%^& 'Icelandic' Chicken...

Sorry :-(

'Lainie