[Sca-cooks] Re: Goat meat

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 04:25:33 PDT 2002

--- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2002, at 19:36, Philippa Alderton wrote:
>
> > Brighid asked:
> >
> > > Does anyone know what the meat yield of a goat
> leg
> > is?
> >
> > That's a little like asking how high is up. Are
> you
> > talking cleaned, with or without shank, what
> breed?
> > They come in all sizes.
>
> Oh.  I don't know those things.  A local Pakistani
> grocery sells
> goat and lamb (whole or pieces) for about $2.99/lb.
> I was thinking
> of experimenting with a roast leg, but didn't know
> how many it
> would feed.
>
> > As a general rule, they'll bwe 80-90 % meat,
> depending
> > on what you actually have.

OK, I suspect the discrepancy between me and Muiredach
might relate to what we're thinking. I think he's
guesstimating from an entire carcass, whereas I'm
thinking in terms of a hind leg quarter, trimmed and
cleaned but not boned.

As far as cooking goes, goats are generally less fatty
and a bit tougher than lamb, so for a first try, I'd
suggest a wet  and slow cooking method. Once you work
with the meat, you'll have a better idea of its
characteristics. Either do a stew or a braised roast
with your leg, or possibly try a loin chop, done as
you would a lamb chop. If you do a lamb chop and a
goat chop at the same time, that might give you a
basis for comparison.

You might just ask the people selling the meat for a
favorite recipe. Often folks who are selling an
"unusual" market item will give you one, in order to
expand their customer base.

Phlip

> Thank you.
>

> Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann
> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> rcmann4 at earthlink.net

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,