[Sca-cooks] OOP - Supper Tonight

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 2 17:50:01 PST 2002

About two weeks ago, I got a whole, frozen king salmon and tonight one side
of it became dinner.  I was supposed to have a couple guests, but they were
feeling poorly, so Margaret and I got the whole thing to ourselves.  The
menu was baked marinaded salmon, Yams Richard, and steamed asparagus.  Since
this was supposed to be a dinner party, I did a few special things.  It was
tasty, so I thought I would share the recipes.

The couple that missed the meal won't be too put out.  I'll be turning the
leftovers into TV dinners.

Bear

Baked Salmon

Take a salmon filet, cleaned and scaled (I also skinned it, but that is not
necessary), place it in a baking dish.  Divide as necessary to get it in.

Salt and pepper to taste.
Pour 1/2 cup raspberry walnut vinegarette (I used Ken's Steak House brand)
over the filets.
Dot with butter (about 2 tablespoons for 3 lbs of fish in my case.
Sprinkle with majoram.
Cover the dish and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Bake at 450 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.

Yams Richard

This is a Southron recipe lifted from Brennan's in New Orleans.  The yams
are sweet potatoes.

3 lbs. sweet potatoes
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup pecans
1/3 cup raisins
16 marshmallows

I left out the pecans, since Margaret can't have nuts.

Boil the sweet potatoes until soft, peel them and mash them.
Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, cream butter, pecans and raisins.  Mix in
thoroughly.
Put the sweet potato mixture in a buttered 2 qt. casserole.
Top with the marshmallows.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.

Steamed Asparagus

1 lb asparagus
1/4 cup butter
Freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese

Clean the asparagus and remove the woody portion of the stalks
Steam until tender (starting with cold water in the pan, this takes only
about 10 minutes total) about three minutes under steam.
Plate the asparagus and cover with melted butter.
Sprinkle the cheese on top of the buttered asparagus.