[Sca-cooks] poke

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Fri Mar 29 12:43:47 PST 2002

Gee, aren't you glaad we have a sizable patch across the drive from the
front door?

margali

the quote starts here:
If you notice where it was growing in the fall, and
you go back during the early spring, you'll find the
very young plants growing, and these are what are
usually harvested for eating. Because it's mildly
poisonous, you need to cook them in two waters- boil
them a bit (10 minutes?) throw out the water, and
simmer them again. After that, you can use them as you
would asparagus- my favorite method is to saute them
in butter with a bit of pepper.

Very tasty- and it's sometimes called "Poor man's
asparagus:, if that will help you get an idea of what
it tastes (sorta) like.

Phlip