[Sca-cooks] jerky recipe OOP

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 1 08:36:45 PST 2002

> So with the talk of jerky (which is making me hungry for the dried meat) in
> the air, who has a good jerky recipe with instructions on how to make jerky.
> Mmm, if I'm not busy, I make some myself if I can find a recipe.

Here's a way to do jerky without monopolizing the family oven all day and night.
You know what happens when you leave meat in the microwave too long?  It gets
hard and chewy.  A-HA!  Baron Woody, former Baron of Angels, used to use a
recipe like this one, or just marinated the meat in straight Teriyaki sauce:

Microwave Jerky

1/2 lb boneless beef
1/4 tsp Salt
1/3 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Water
6 Drops Liquid Smoke

Cut meat into 1/8" thick strips, which is easier if it is
slightly frozen. combine ingredients, and place with meat
in refrigerator overnight to marinate. Then place the
meat strips in a microwave roasting rack. [The pan I use
calls itself a Microwave Bacon Pan, works great.] Set the
microwave on high for 4 to 6 minutes. After 4 minutes
add time in 30 second increments. The idea is to have a
dried jerky, which means a color change from brown to
dark brown, and a consistency in the meat that has
changed from supple to leathery in it's texture. That's it!

Selene, jerky jester in Caid