[Sca-cooks] Sources of Protein

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Mar 2 23:15:24 PST 2002

Angeline said:
> One event that had fighting, fencing, thrown weapons, archery, lots of
> melees and things I bought some boneless hams and also turkey breasts, (I
> know turkey isn't exactly period) and sliced them and put them out on the
> dayboard and they really went (so did the bread)

A small correction here. Turkey is not medieval. It was however
available in Europe prior to 1600 CE.

We've discussed this several times on this list. However, I don't like
to see turkey, at least turkey that is obviously turkey, served at
SCA feasts because it reminds me too much of the modern world.

For more information on the importation of turkeys to Europe, and I
think some recipes, check this file in the Florilegium:
turkeys-msg       (45K)  5/18/01    Use of turkeys in Rennaissance Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/turkeys-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net