[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Mar 3 22:37:44 PST 2002

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Digby's _cheesecake_? Doesn't sound familiar...what am I forgetting?

It's on pg 62 of my very old and tattered copy of Cariadoc's
_Miscellany_. The title says: "To Make Cheesecakes" Digby p. 214/174
(which I'm guessing is for different editions). Dead easy, with a crust,
cheese, eggs, butter, sugar, and some spices. If you have any oven at
all it is a no-brainer in camp. Lots easier than the White Torta, which
had us passing the bowl around and begging virtual strangers to beat teh
eggs for us.

> Someone in the barony sometimes makes gingerbread for a fundraiser, but
> the rest of your list...nope.

Wow! And here I thought these were standards!

> Just made crust o' tame critturs for the
> first time oh, a month ago, and found it quite tasty--would have been
> even better with fresh herbs, but this is definitely the wrong time of
> year for those (at least, within *my* budget).

Isn't it YUMMY? And there are so many variations- within the recipe- but
it has been one of my basics for like 6 years.

> Have thought about doing
> Icelandic chicken, but no one in these parts has actually done it.
> Maybe it's a regional thing? Dependent on local markets? or whether
> you've got access to larger markets/cities?

Huh? All it requires is chicken, sage, bacon, and dough. Or do you have
a different recipe? The one I have is on pg 36 of the tattered
_Miscellany_ (yes, I know I could download a new copy. I'm just too lazy
and I am saving my paper for other things...). My oldest daughter's best
friend Kelly (who will be going to a preview at Ithaca this spring- wah!
I will miss her!) absolutely ADORES the Icelandic chicken. If she's at
an event we have to make it. Anymore, I toss the ingredients and the
recipe her direction, and let her make it.

Wow. Always though everone did those. Hmm...

'Lainie