Great Brine Shrimp Scampi; was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Imaginary list

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 4 04:35:19 PST 2002

Also sprach Karen O:
>      I've read thru my _Sage Advice_ and the menus are stagnating!!  One
>would think  Baronies with Cooking Guilds {even if  "incipient" Guilds}
>could develop better menus than:  "Baron of beef, Sroganoff with Noodles,
>Great Brine Shrimp Scampi, French Onion Soup, Glazed Corrots [sic] and Bread
>& Cheese."  *Or*  "Soup, Breads, Beef, Salmon & Desert [sic]"   <sigh>
>
>     I'm so glad my "fosterling" Barony keeps a bit more authentic than any
>of that!  {Yallo, Mst Maire!}

All this is pretty straightforward, but wot's all this about Great
Brine Shrimp Scampi?

I know what Shrimp Scampi is; it's a classic preparation for Scampi
(which are a type of Bay Prawn and somewhat different from shrimp),
made with Shrimp. Kind of like Cantonese Shrimp with Lobster Sauce,
which is Lobster Cantonese made with shrimp instead of lobster; the
main ingredient is a substitute.

So what's Great Brine Shrimp Scampi? Is it really made with Brine
Shrimp? I just fed some brine shrimp to the goldfish, but they
weren't scampified... or did somebody really mention brine to
distinguish ocean shrimp from brackish-water prawns?

Adamantius