Great Brine Shrimp Scampi; was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Imaginary list

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Mar 4 06:22:02 PST 2002

Knowing my kingdom, I'd say she's referring, in part, to the menu from
an event held in Loch Salann.  They have this whimsical event every year
called (something similar to) The Brine Shrimp Tourney. The winner of
the tourney is the Defender of All that is Good from the depredations of
said horrible shrimpy monster. (evidently, it ties in to the brine
shrimp found in that pool of water near to them also known as the Salt
Lake <g>)
So the "brine shrimp" part of the shrimp scampi's probably just a name
added to regular ole shrimp scampi.
She's actually just moaning about the general non-periodness of the
menus--stroganoff, shrimp scampi, and french onion soup not exactly
being period.....There are some -uhm- areas/people resistant to more
period ideas, or just plain not *aware* of all the alternatives out in
the big, wide world.....
But hey, I remember going to an event that not only served spaghetti
with your choice of tomato or alfredo sauce, but also a steak and baked
potato [indelicate shudder...the sauces were scorched and they served
them anyways]
--Maire