[Sca-cooks] SCA Chef's 58 varieties

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 4 15:11:18 PST 2002

Also sprach jenne at fiedlerfamily.net:
>  > 32. Cameline Sauce:
>>  This seems to be dying out. It still gets served, but certainly not
>>  at every feast, and possibly not even once a year.
>
>Unless it was on the 12th night menu, I have never seen this served by
>anyone but me in the East... must not be very popular in the Southern
>Region.

Of course, 12th Night was in the Central Region this past year. No,
Rich Pepper Sauce and Sauce Gauncile, but no Cameline. I've served
it, but not recently.

>Honestly, the only things I see often enough to be sick of them are
>darioles, tart for ember day, and a few dayboard items

By darioles, do you mean the honey-saffron tarts previously mentioned
by somebody? (BTW, that name and standard recipe was inspired by a
14th or 15th-century English recipe for "a doucety", adapted by
Maxime McKendry for "700 Years of English Cooking", a.k.a. "The Seven
Centuries Cookbook".)

There's also a totally non-period "dariole" recipe kicking around in
the SCA; it was sort of grandfathered into the Middle Ages by Esther
B. Aresty, IIRC (See "The Delectable Past"), because it was similar,
in her opinion, to medieval darioles. It involves, essentially, a
sweet cream-cheese mousse poured into pre-baked tart shells, and is
very, very, good, but seems to be 18th or 19th century.

Adamantius